Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back To School....Middle School that is

Well Andy's 1st day of 5th grade was great! He loves his teachers and so do we and we are very pleased with the school. There is another student in his class who is also from Ukraine! What are the chances. I told Andy "man God really watches out for you" and he replied, "yep, He sure does"
and smiled.
And that about sums up how we feel right now. I look back and this time last year--well this time last year we were on the beach in Ukraine...but as far as 1st days of school goes this time last year was so much different.
Last time on his 1st day of school he only knew a handful of English. He had only been in the States a few weeks. Its so crazy how time flies. It feels like we've been here forever and yet its not really even been a full year.

Yesterday Andrew and I celebrated our Anniversary. And I remember on our last anniversary we were eating pizza at the beach in Ukraine. Andy spoke maybe 10 words in English and yet we laughed and had fun...well, I remember it that way at least...my blog may say otherwise. lol
Anyway, this year we celebrated and Andy bought me roses--is that not the sweetest thing.
He told us, I have an anniversary surprise for you--out come a dozen roses. Is this kid golden or what.

This morning I was complementing Andy on his school work and how he'd already written down the full week's assignments (something he forgot a lot last school year) and he just looked at me and said "well yeah, I'm getting older and that's what you do" as if, of course. He even looks older. It's bittersweet because I want to keep him a 'baby' forever, but its so amazing to watch him mature. He explained to me how the teachers said they have more freedom this year bc its middle school and how of course with freedom comes responsibility. I swear when he said it he grew an inch. Before I know it he'll be taller than me.

Life's going well. Andy is more settled than ever. We had a great summer and as Andy so quickly agreed to before, I think, Man, God really watches out for him.