Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Habla Espanol??

Who knew it would take coming to Ukraine to realize how much Spanish we knew. There's nothing like a little international travel to brush up on your Spanish....except in Ukraine! lol
Don't ask me why but for some reason for the first week we both kept finding it our first instinct to ask questions in Spanish to try to relate. That is very helpful in Mexico, Honduras...etc but not so much in Ukraine where we may as well be speaking English or even pig latin.

You know how when people don't understand your language you speak slower and louder for some strange reason-like that will really help? Well I will never do that again. I understand how it feels to be fumbling to explain you need to find the restroom to only recieve a blank stare. And it has finally registered in my brain that saying "como se dece....food?" only produces a pity smile. Oh well, it has been good for a laugh or two. We both did it out of habit. Who knew we knew so much Spanish.

So it is is 1210 am Tuesday morning here in Ukraine. Yes, we should be in bed. However, taking a nap at 5pm sort of messes up your schedule :)
We did Rosetta stone for about 2hrs, read a book and stared at the TV as it sputtered out broken Russian and a blank red screen. Then decided to brave it and cross the street alone to the internet cafe. A good decision so far. Tomorrow our translator, Gayla (the one that actually translates into English) is taking us around. She asked us what we'd like to do and after I answered I realized how little of my response probably translated. I said whatever you'd like to do, we are "along for the ride, easy going." I was met with a small pause of silence while I watched Andrew look at me a bit puzzled--he must have realized before I did how natural it is to speak in idioms and cliche's. I'm not sure if it's jut Gayla's personality or her job to do what we want but she replied by saying she would like to do whatever we would like to do. Oh boy... so we said we'd look on the internet. We've seen most of the typical tourist things that are easy to find so Andrew set to work on google...

Here's what he's found:
Chrinoble (surely spelled wrong) it is the nuclear fall out sight and we are also going to try to make it to St Sophia, a cathedral or possibly their beach. I did mention the beach to her before and she didn't seem to understand why we would want to do that. She said the water is very dirty. I explained that we mostly just wanted to see it--not so much take a swim. However, I think we all know Andrew would probably jump right in :) So adventuresome.

I'm running out of time according to the flashing 5 minutes remaining sign so I will wrap this up.

Hopefully we'll be online again soon. We leave for Simferopal and Jonque by train tomorrow. I am assuming there will be internet cafe's but if not we'll post as soon as we possibly can.

Maybe we'll have some funny stories from the train and our time tomorrow...maybe.
Goodnight Everyone....

From Russia with love :P