Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

We made it!

We are here!
We've been in Ukraine since yesterday but today is the first day I have been able to figure out how to update the blog.
We only have few minutes here but I am going to try to type as fast as I can.

We went to Amsterdam and Paris prior to arriving in Ukraine and we looooved both. Paris was everything it should be. We had a great hotel room also with a balcony overlooking the street. In all honesty we were very nervous what the room would be like--probably more me than Andrew as if it weren't for me he'd have stayed on the street with a sleeping bag so he could really experience the world. haha just kidding. But it was wonderful. We did all the touristy things of course. No way to update pics but will as soon as we return home. Amsterdam was great! We had a whole flat to ourselves overlooking the street. We felt like we lived there.. We had a lot of fun. Everyone in both places is really nice. French are not rude like everyone acts like they are.

Ok back to Ukraine... we have been here since yesterday afternoon. Our translator is sick or something and so she sent her friend until Monday. This is no problem but really quiet interesting as she speaks about 10 English words. It's been really funny. She has taken us all around today and shown us Kiev. I'm sure we stick out like a sore thumb as we are the only ones speaking English and walking around with our pocket translator (great gift!). We have been eating Ukrainian food and it's good. Andrew is more daring and orders things new where as I pull out the dictionary and find chicken--I stick with that and Borshe (Ukranian Soup.

We have a flat to ourselves here and it's just across from the Marina, our temporary translator. We tried to get the TV to work--for noise more than anything (when you are used to living in the city near the airport the silence is just strange) but we couldn't get it to work. Finally we did but then it was all red and black-a little frustrating but no biggie. I was looking forward to watching a movie on the DVD on the computer but we can't get it to work. So... we had seriously from 6pm here til 10am the next morning. We just sat and stared at each other.... just kidding. Andrew did Rosetta stone and sounded hillarious while I read.

We are really excited for tomorrow as we are thinking that we will be boarding the train to go see Yuri after court. But again, we aren't sure about anything but court because we can't understand what she tells us.
Keep us in your prayers--hopefully this will go smoothly.

I hope this post makes sense as we are both extremely tired and a little slap happy. We've been in about 3 time zones in less than a week. :)

We did go to a shop today and bought Yuri a book--a classic Ukrainian children's book. You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to explain what I was trying to do :) I kept picking up books that seemed appropriate but Marina said no no no or "neit niet" which sounds like the english word "neat" which means no. I finally gave up when Andrew and I realized that she thought the book was too young--not a totally bad idea as I'd thought.

Hmm what else... I guess I'm running out of time at the cafe.
The music here is awesome... just picture "night at the roxberry" haha

Love you all