Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Bringing Yuri to the Flat

I want to start by saying that no matter how well I describe Yuri's first night with us, nothing will do it justice. My hope is that once we can post pictures (still trying to figure out..something at the internet cafe won't let us) you'll be able to better get a feel for how wonderful it was.

Of course after we left court we ate in Jonquoy--one last time...and may I say thank goodness because either my senses kicked in or the cook was having a bad day, because the food was awful. Then we hopped on the bus, with Yuri this time (yeaaah!) heading back to Simferopal. You'd think he would be a little nervous... but not at all. When we got to the flat and opened the door to let him in, bike in tow, he said "wow." Smiled at us and started running from room to room. He was really excited....so were we. Watching him take it all in was really rewarding to say the least. He just seemed amazed. He went into the family room and saw the tv and the cd player and just started dancing around--jumping doing handstands, flopping onto the couch and hugging us in between each. He loves music and quickly turned on the CD player and went nuts... just doing his little dance all over the house. It was really exciting.

Inga, the owner of the flat, has a few DVD's in Russian and English so we watched a kid friendly one. Pulled out the trundle on the couch and got Yuri set up with a pillow, stuffed animal and blanket. He snacked on raisins and a juice box (he likes healthy food) and had his little arms propped up behind his head. He looked so happy, so relaxed....maybe even a little relieved.

Since it was a special night we let him stay up for the whole movie. We carried him to bed and we all said our prayers together. He listened to his praise and worship CD from 'Babushka' (Grandmaw--my Mom) until he fell asleep. Before falling asleep he just looked at us and around his room, and smiled. He was still relatively excited and understandably so, and so when we heard him in his room just looking around we played dumb... Now I wonder, is that what my parents did too? Because my sister, Jessica, and I would play in bed for what felt like hours...giggling and talking and running around. Ah memories... Funny how having a child of your own makes you think back to your own childhood so often. I can say I definately have a new appreciation for my own parents and the life they gave me. There is so much to be said about feeling safe, worry free and secure. Now Yuri is beginning to feel that way and we are so unbelieveably happy. He told Oksana on the way to Simferopal that he was already a home child...and wasn't even home. It was adorable. A home child is something they call kids with parents and a home. The others are orphan childs--it's sad.
I have to admit we must have peaked into his room at least a dozen times watching him sleep. It was something I don't know how to describe, I'm at a loss for words...which is strange for me because...well I talk...A LOT :) Loving Yuri has come so naturally and to our relief he seems to feel the same about us. It's been just shy of 2 years since the first time I hugged this little rugrat and seeing him rest so peacefully in a decent bed with clean, warm covers and a full tummy is worth every penny, worry and stress in the world.
That night I hugged Andrew and we agreed--we made it, we made it. We are a family... we have a "home child" as Yuri would say.

Goodnight with love, from Ukraine