Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Friday, August 29, 2008

The Day After...

Well this morning I woke up and thought...oh well, so we are still here in Ukraine and our flight home leaves in a few hours...without us. And in my sleepiness it felt quite normal, we've been here so long that being here feels more real than leaving. Kind of like a mirage in the desert, that's what getting home is right now--haha.

I am better today, man I was a case yesterday. I kept crying, I was getting on my own nerves :)
But today I've accepted it and there are worse things in the world. So we have another week.... The flat is in a better location than the one in Simferopal only in the sense that we can walk to an internet cafe, grocery, stores and McDonald's other than that it's not so great in comparison. There is no TV/DVD and we can't hop on and off of a bus like we could in Simferopal. All things considered being stuck in Simferopal would feel much more like home. But, I'm not complaining...ok maybe a little, you would too.

Today we decided to try letting Yuri play kid games on the computer so he could come to the internet cafe with us, rather than us each taking turns. We were worried at first that this may pose a problem since over half of the people in here are playing violent computer games and some look Yuri's age or younger. However, so far it is working out very well, other than the fact that Yuri won't let Andrew help him when he is stuck nor ask a stranger--not because he is scared to ask but because he wouldn't feel smart. You think I'm kidding but I'm not. He likes us to know that he is smart--he says this.

Speaking of smart, yesterday Yuri informed Galya that he is smarter than us. She laughed but we know he means it...that makes us laugh. He is learning, slowly but surely. We have told him that although we may look like fools here we know what we are doing in America. I'm sure he is thinking "Yeah right." He is currently grounded from ice cream while in Kiev. This was due to the fact that he got off of the train at a stop (that was not ours) on the way to Kiev--after being told not to more than once. He thougth it was really cute and ran--he doesn't think it's cute now that he can't have ice cream. I will say that I didn't count on being in Kiev so long so it has now become a slight punishment for me as I don't want to eat it in front of him (which is amazing because I didn't even want it til I realized I couldn't/shouldn't). Yesterday he kept trying to say he would do things if he could have ice cream or he'd say he was tired because he didn't have his ice cream. It's cute...kind of...ok it is but it is bad. We love him but man has he got some attitude. It is kind of funny because he asked us through the interpreter "why ice cream? can't you take something else?" We had to laugh because it was a fair question. Unfortunately it has to be ice cream because the bike is already gone so we don't have much else to leverage... so for now....ice cream it is.