Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hide and Seek

Last night before bed the 3 of us played hide and seek with Yuri. Actually only Yuri hid, Andrew and I took turns helping him hide. I must say that I was the superior 'hider.' Yuri's first hiding spot was just in a large closet space...although it did take me awhile to find him. But mine was even better. Andrew must have gone around that flat 6 times looking for him. I was laughing because Andrew kept saying "this is impossible, how am I missing this...the place isn't that big." I refused to give him away. Circling the kitchen, hall, bedrooms...hmmmm where could he be.

Andrew even tried yelling out funny Russian phrases hoping to make Yuri laugh--too bad the kid is good at hide and seek--it didn't work. He even started teasing him about liking girls thinking Yuri would crack up...nope. So, where did he hide.....wait for it...

Finally Andrew looked over to the end of our room and happened to notice a pair of his shorts, in his open suitcase, were breathing... up and down...ever so slowly. Ah ha there was little Yuri... in the suitcase!

After about 20 minutes (I kid you not) of searching "Mr. Vanderbilt Grad" finally found 10yr old Yuri curled into the fetal position in his open suitcase under a pair of shorts. Man Mom's smart hehehe. The funniest part was watching Yuri imitate his dad looking for him. He was walking around repeating the phrases and cracking up--fully body laugh--imitating him. It was really funny. I know perhaps it isn't the most interesting story, but it really was a fun little game.

Yuri begged to hide once more before his shower so we let him. However, this time it was Dad's turn to hide him. In trying to beat my awesome spot he put him on top of a wall unit type thing in the bedroom. It was good...I guess (jk)... I only found Yuri because I was calling out the lyrics of a song he sings--I was calling out the RIGHT lyrics which Yuri insists are wrong--it drives him nuts... so finally he couldn't take it anymore and yelled out the right lyrics to correct me (well right to him). Finding him wasn't the funny part--I have pictures to help paint this picture and will try to load them ASAP--it was the fact that he was covered, and I mean covered in dust.
He sat up and realized it and started laughing, I can't wait for you to hear his laugh. Its the cutest kid giggle ever. I guess we were all tired because at that moment it was the funniest thing we had seen in about a week. For those of you who know Andrew well you can picture him doing that funny sounding cry laugh thing--he rarely does it--it has to really be funny, I guess. So of course hearing it made me laugh. The joke was on Andrew though because he had to get Yuri down and Yuri took that opportunity to 'share' the dust with his Dad.
It's the simple things ...but it was a great night...the fun comes out wherever you are I guess.