Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to School

Well today was Andy's first day back to school from Christmas break. It wouldn't be such a big deal except that he has tested out of his previous school so today's the first day at his new one. He was really excited to be going to a new school, whereas I wanted to start crying. I think Ms. Edwards could tell, as she gave me her cell number--lol. Anyhow, his English is so well that they fel he was ready for a normal school.

So the search began... oh yeah and this was all 2 days before Christmas break. Oh nothing like new parents school searching with 2 days before the break begins and no real knowledge of any of the surrounding schools.

Let me tell ya... it was greeeat. No it wasn't.



Oh well after a lot of thought and worry we decided that the best option given the time restraints and his limited ability to read in English that public school would be best right now.

Although I started out very very worried, I now feel like it was a good decision. He will be in the ELL program, because they have more 1x1 time and it is more oral as opposed to reading (which again he is still learning) and the teacher seems great.

Not to mention in order to afford private schools right now I'd have to fork over a kidney.

So we have til next school year to figure out where he'll go next. And if it's public school just start looking for our "we've moved" post cards.



School starts at 8am sharp and you can get there at 745. Being habitually late, I worried myself sick I would cause Andy to be late. This is not something he or his Dad appreciate. You'd be proud Mom, I was right on time, actually even early "yeah me." haha



The plan was for me to walk Andy in, being his first day and all, and buy his lunch tickets. But when we arrived in the carpool line he let me know he'd rather go alone. So there I sat in the drivers seat, ball cap pulled low over my unfixed hair (hey it was 730 am), smiling (to hide my nervousness--for myself and him--those carpool lines are scary!) saying "are you sure you don't want me to walk you in? It is your first day...." Holding my breath because I don't want to embarass him, but nor do I want to let him out of the car. I mean this is elementary school, not the International Newcomer's Academy with Ms. Edwards, what if someone pushes him? I gotta be there to put the smack down right? Wrong. He was worried kids might realize he was new if I walked him in. Riiiiight, because meeting you for the first time wouldn't tip them off to that.

"Ok sweetie" I smiled bravely. "Just be sure to remember all we talked about last night. And don't forget to give your teacher your lunch money."

"OK Mom." He kissed my cheek and leaped out of the car. All 60 pounds of him strutting up the sidewalk with his new back pack.



So.... this is what it feels like to be the mom of a 10 yr old. Insert me smiling, worried and happy all at the same time. This is the real stuff. INA was different, so this must be what it feels like.

I must say as cheesy as it sounds, I will never forget this morning. Seeing him dissapear into the building. Worrying if the other kids would be nice. Would he behave? What if he loses his lunch money--he'll be hungry. I should have made him eat more. He won't think well on an empty stomach. (Wow, should I go put on my "Mom Jeans?")

But most of all Just being so proud of him. He was really excited and really nervous at the same time. But there he went, all by himself. He's so cute.

I said a prayer that all Mom's probably pray, I know my Mom at least, as he walked out of my sight.

"God watch over him, keep him safe and give him peace."



And off I went... back to the house to go back to bed til time to pick him up.

What? Isn't that what "stay at home Mom's" do? KIDDING!

Back home to clean up, work out, do laundry.... you know the drill. :)



We'll see how it goes. Oh and I do have pictures to load from Christmas...stay tuned.