Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Christmas

A lot of you have asked me about our 1st family Christmas. I have been meaning to write about it forever as it was so wonderful and magical. I kept putting it off until I had "time" but tonight I realize that will never happen. So I'm going to write about it now--even though I am not really in a "writing mood" if you will.

So seeing as Andy is 10 and this is likely the last year he will believe in Santa Claus--I decided to really milk it for all it's worth. I mean I really want to do as much damage as possible :)
Needless to say, Andy saw Santa Claus. Not in the mall--in his TV room, in the middle of the night.
It was MAGICAL. My heart was pounding, Andrew's heart was pounding and Andy was just beyond excited.
We woke him up at about 2am (because that was when we finally got everything ready--who knew all the work that went into Christmas as a parent! wow) and told him we thought we heard Santa on our roof.
He rubbed his eyes and looked at us puzzled and then it was as if it set in and his eyes grew as big as saucers. He didn't say a word he just grabbed both of Andrews hands and crept out into the hall in front of him.
We all 3 snuck down the hall and peered around the corner to see Jolly 'ol St Nick stuffing stockings and eating cookies--right there at our fireplace! (I was so excited I almost forgot I was the one who dressed my Father-in-law up in the suit!)

We ran back to the room breathless and Andy gasped saying "I can't believe I saw Santa Claus." "Now I really believe" (hence me saying I'm inflicting damage...hey whatever, his friends still believe. So if you are a Santa hater back off).

Andrew and I were reveling in this back in the tv room after snuggling Andy back into bed. Andrew admitted that it was a lot more fun than he'd thought it would be. He didn't think Andy believed and informed me more than once that Andy was only saying he did because I had in fact told him if he didn't believe there would be no presents. Which is true--I'm hardcore on this...jk

Anyhow I have never seen a child so excited. It's amazing how a tree full of lights and the belief of a child can turn a regular old tv room into something so magical.

The next morning he told everyone. It was so fun. He of course looooved Christmas. He fell on the floor at one point arms out to each side just saying I can't believe this in response to all of his presence. It was our best BEST best Christmas ever.

There of course is more but Andrew is starting the movie without me haha and I think that's probably the part you really wanted to hear anyway. But don't worry or get all huffy--Andy knows the REAL reason for Christmas and we did plenty to ensure that. I didn't just dress up Santa :P