Our Blog for Getting and now living daily life with our Ukrainian- American son. Good and bad, its all here.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Time out

I don't know about you but time out went from being a lifesaver to a real drain. I mean really when I've got over an hour in time out--who really cares? Andy doesn't. The other day, ok week, he was reaaaallly on bad behavior. He gets time out in 5 min increments and let me just tell you he was up to 45 minutes! Judge me all you want but I'm tellin' you--it was keep adding time out or pull out all my hair and who knows what else may have happened. So...here's how this conversation went...get ready to laugh or wince...me I did both--although the laughing came much later, after the wincing, a hot bath and 3 Tylenols ;)

Me--"Andy, you have to go to bed. You can sit on the stairs and fuss as long as you want. However, you already have 20 minutes of time out tomorrow so I'd suggest you go to bed."
Andy--"I don't want to do this. I won't do this. " (insert horribly mean face)
Me--"Well it is your decision but however many minutes you sit there will be the amount of time out added to your 20 minutes tomorrow."
Andy--Screams. Stomps. Sitting.
---insert clock ticking and me doing my best to appear totally calm as I clean the kitchen.
---yep, he's still sitting on the steps staring me down.
anybody got the jeapordy music handy? No, ok I like listening to 10yr old whining, it's cool.

Finally 10 minutes later he walks to his room, however, I can tell this battle's not over. Oh no...it is faaar from over. As he walks into his room and I tell him the total amount of time out he has, (desperately hoping he'll make the right decision as I tell him to go to bed now that he'll do it. I mean surely this kid's tired) he turns and looks right at me and says "I don't care how much time out I have--I love time out. Give me 2 hours of time out."

You are wondering what I did aren't you? Well at the risk of you all thinking I'm a bad Mom, too strict, or not strict enough... I'll tell you. Just keep in mind--I'm doing the best I can and um... well, I generally only write the good things about Andy and this is just a fraction of his "bad behavior" (bless his heart :) that is what we say after something like that right?)

Well, what did I do then? I agreed and gave him 2 hours of time out. I mean it was a challenge--and with Andy--you can't back down. So 2 hours it is. He says he's happy about it. But the way he screamed as I left tells me he is in fact not happy about it at all.

So, not only did I punish Andy--but I punished MYSELF. Do you know how miserable tomorrow is going to be for us both. Oh man, if only I could call in sick.

I gotta go...Andy's been yelling for me for about 2 minutes. I guess he wants more time out?
First thing tomorrow I am coming up with a new punishment plan. This timeout thing as I said....doesn't work well enough.

When the going gets tough...the tough... go sit in the tub and cry. kiiiiiidddding.
They put THEMSELVES in time out.